Milestones

1910

Baron Edmond James de Rothschild establishes a hospital to serve the Jewish community in Zefat, commonly known as Rothschild Hospital or the Jewish Hospital. A public park is built next to the hospital; it serves the residents of Zefat to this day.

1914-1918

During the First World War, the Turks confiscate the hospital building and use it to treat typhoid patients and as a military hospital.

1918

May: An American Zionist medical delegation arrives to help rebuild the country. They are the forerunners of Hadassah in Israel.
September: The Allies occupy Zefat and the medical delegation sends a group to reopen hospital.

1919-1935

June 21, 1919: With aid from the Rothschild family, the hospital reopens. Hadassah runs it as a general hospital, now known locally as Rothschild-Hadassah Hospital, or simply, Hadassah. Many pioneers of the north and founders of the Jewish settlements in the area are treated here.
1926: The cool climate and fresh air of Zefat provide the conditions for opening a special ward for tuberculosis patients at the hospital, which begins to specialize in their care.

1935-1948

Hadassah Hospital is declared the country’s main center for TB patients, administering care to members of all ethnic groups and religions from neighboring countries, as well.

1948-1950

During the War of Independence, Hadassah’s patients are moved to Zichron Yaakov, and it becomes Military Hospital No. 7, treating those wounded on the northern battlefront and operating a frontline emergency unit at Kfar Giladi.

1950-1957

Hadassah Hospital returns to Zefat, moving to the location of the former British Mandate hospital and adjacent stone buildings. It continues to care for tuberculosis patients, as well as operating a surgical ward, pediatric ward and emergency room.
1952: The Rothschild Hadassah Hospital building is renovated and converted into a maternity hospital.
1956: A nursing school is founded at the hospital.

1957-1973

1957: Hadassah transfers the authority over the hospital to the government, which unites it with the maternity hospital, to operate as a general hospital in several buildings in the city.
1960s: Construction of a new hospital building begins in the southern section of the city.

1973

Just before the 1973 Yom Kippur War, the hospital moves to its new, modern facility, named for Lady Rebecca Sieff. Thousands of wounded from the northern front are treated here, with the help of volunteer doctors and nurses from throughout Israel and other countries.

1970s

New departments are opened, including a dialysis unit, geriatrics and ENT wards, an X-ray facility and pacemaker implantations are performed at the hospital. The patients include IDF soldiers, UN personnel, many tourists and later, southern Lebanese army soldiers and civilians from southern Lebanon.

The institution also treats those injured in terrorist attacks, including the Avivim school bus massacre (1970) and Maalot massacre of high-school students (1974).

1980s

The OB/GYN ward expands and a urology ward, newborn ICU, mental health center, nuclear medicine institute, gastroenterology, hematology units and child development center are added.
1988: An angiogram unit to serve both Poriya and Nahariya hospitals is inaugurated.
After Operation Peace in Galilee (1982, in Lebanon), the hospital opens a frontline emergency room in Kiryat Shmona and provides professional support to the hospital run by the IDF in Marj Uyun in southern Lebanon.

1990s

A cardiology ward, oncology unit, neurology ward, child and adolescent psychiatry ward, pediatric intensive care unit, oral and maxillofacial surgery unit, vascular surgery unit, CT institute and trauma unit are opened.
The hospital becomes affiliated with the Technion Faculty of Medicine, Haifa, teaching medical students and training young physicians.

2002

A new building is opened to house the oncology ward, the juvenile diabetes unit and the research division.

2006

A new building is opened for the emergency medicine cardiology departments, nuclear medicine and dialysis units.
The Second Lebanon War: Ziv Hospital sustains direct rocket hits. About 1500 soldiers and civilians are treated in the emergency room, and over 400 are hospitalized. The State Comptroller and the Committee for Investigation of the Second Lebanon War praise the Ziv Medical Center for the way it fulfilled its tasks during the war.

2010

The government of Israel chooses Zefat for the establishment of a new medical school of Bar-Ilan University. The Ziv Medical Center prepares for its role as a major partner in training the young physicians, expanding its services and research capabilities.
After extensive renovation of the maternity ward, new birthing rooms and a special care unit for newborns are inaugurated.

2011

The Child Health Center, inaugurated in July 2016